Battle between Kennett and Avon Grove ends in tie

This article can be found published on the Southern Chester County Weeklies‘ website.
Teammates congratulate Ryan Johnson on his goal to take the lead in the first period against Avon Grove Dec. 20. (Candice Monhollan)

Teammates congratulate Ryan Johnson on his goal to take the lead in the first period against Avon Grove Dec. 20. (Candice Monhollan)

NEWARK, Del. – It couldn’t have been a closer battle between two of the top three teams in the Delaware Scholastic Hockey Association boys varsity division Dec. 20.

After losing to Avon Grove the week prior, Kennett was looking to exact revenge, but couldn’t quite get it after a fierce back-and-forth battle ended in a 3-3 tie.

“That was a great game,” said Avon Grove head coach Jim Este. “That’s what hockey is all about down here. Just another great game between two great organizations.”

It was not only a battle on the scoreboard, but also between both goaltenders, senior Logan Reisinger and Sean Edmonds.

… [Please continue the story on the Southern Chester County Weeklies website by clicking here.]

“Both goalies played very well,” said Kennett head coach Tom Dougherty. “That was the difference. They played strong and that’s why it was a low-scoring tie.”

No one was able to gain too much of an upper hand in the game. Whatever momentum one team had was quickly diminished to the other and the same could be said for the goals.

Forward Jacob Istre opened the scoring for Kennett when his shot from the high slot beat Reisinger on a power play 3:55 into the opening period.

With Edmonds on his stomach, Avon Grove players crowded around and kept whacking away and tied things up 54 seconds later by senior forward George Difrancesco.

Kennett regained its lead with 32.1 seconds remaining in the first on another power play, this time from forward Ryan Johnson in the right circle.

Things were knotted up once again on a lone goal in the second period from Avon Grove. Junior forward Patrick Huver put on the jets and blew past a defender for a 1-on-0. Edmonds made the initial save, but couldn’t get the rebound from Huver at 8:29.

Avon Grove took the lead for the first time in the game early in the third. While on his knees, senior forward Justin Este was able to get off a shot on the rebound at 3:34 to give Avon Grove the 3-2 lead.

But it was short lived as Kennett came back to tie it 2:39 later on a 5-on-3 when forward Tommy Dougherty’s backhander went top shelf on Reisinger.

Kennett had another 5-on-3 shortly after, but weren’t able to take the lead on it.

Both teams traded great scoring chances in the final minute of the game, but neither was able to crack the goaltenders.

With how well both teams are playing, it wouldn’t come as a shock to see them face off in the playoffs.


Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

Categories: High School Sports, Ice Hockey, Sports

Subscribe & Connect

Subscribe to Candice's RSS feed and connect to her social profiles to receive updates.

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: